Friday, April 1, 2011

a bigger picture?



After reading this aid/development blog  and this AYAD blog, I found myself sitting in a pretty lacklustre (we didn't even have a banner ) run of the mill data collection and field research methodology workshop (having just skills transferred /capacity some GPS knowledge) contemplating my job/current work/and chosen career (or my current career, maybe another 12 months of this and i'll be ready to pack it in and go back and use that law degree i did).


one blog piece is about motivation to work in humanitarian aid/development and the other is a personal experience of getting down and dirty with some locals (sorry to both authors for a crude overview of 2 very good posts). so i was contemplating and sort of falling asleep, and wondering whether what I have been doing here in Nepal is really for the good of anyone (mankind, children, women, Nepal etc etc). deep questions for a thursday afternoon I know. and also contemplating why I decided to do what I do (which is an ongoing pastime)


regardless of motivation, and my boring inner dialogue, its certainly hard at times to see how a desk job running, writing, reviwing, and developing  training workshops, is contributing to Nepal's development, and it certainly feels very distant.


its pretty easy to see the disconnect between
and this



But if that means that health workers know how to encourage

(young women)
to take iron tablets and avoid birth complications and Skinny children like these dudes


then i guess thats a good thing, right?

 peace out

x

No comments:

Post a Comment