Friday, November 19, 2010

sorry about that

it was a little abrupt...

so basically I decided to write a blog, because every man and his AYAD- ing dog has one, and i thought Nepal might provide some interesting anecdotes for friends family and any cyberstalkers out there to hear. Also, i have had considerable idle time at work so i thought I should, in the words of Dave Chapelle (sp?) diversify my bonds.

my office is quite pleasant, with plenty of sugary tea( I can feel my teeth falling out, incidetally a recurring nightmare of mine). goats outside the window, and some himalayan views from the office. though I'm in a dank corner on the ground floor so I'm more goats and people doing laundry than Ganesh Himal and city vistas.

this morning I managed (hopefully) to transfer some skills, in the form of basic handheld GPS use for data collection to a bunch of Nepalis. Firstly, this was not a google mapping exercise, no 'directions to...' and secondly, I didn't know I had this skill. but apparently 12 hours a good manual, and some basic google searching with a fancy (if outdated) handheld GPS thing (which is apparently not designed for novice use-thanks J Dog)  is all you need. Anyway, these guys are out in the field for the next 3 weeks doing data collection and survey...they were rather alarmed that the accuracy of the GPS was only on average, within 10 -15ms of the exact point.  Rightly so, without going into any detail, i am starting to have my doubts about ensuring data collection integrity...or something.....if one house has the exact same location as a house 15 meters away...well maybe you catch my drift...

either way its a boring drift.

Life so far in Nepal has been balls out fun. Got my new wheels bikeaphalus and have so far managed to avoid being ridden off the road or hit by an oncoming bus. work has been interesting if a little slow, but work at the Box Factory back home prepared me for idle time...

adios muchachos

xL

Check out my riiiiiide

No comments:

Post a Comment